I have been building a list for options to recycle your clothing for the past few years. If you have a hard time putting anything into the “trash” which should be called “landfill,” then you might appreciate this list! As a real estate agent, I am working with A LOT of clients who are going through their closets packing and then unpacking which is prime time for sorting and getting rid of things that either no longer fit or you haven’t worn since 1969. There are charities that don’t exactly give much to the people they claim to support so I have been careful to exclude them from this list by referring to Charity Watch.
1. My most favorite place to donate new or like-new women’s and children’s clothing is Rose Haven. They are a day shelter that supports nearly 3,000 local homeless or struggling women and their children annually. They help women in crisis day-in and day-out. Donate Monday and Thursday between 1-4pm at 627 NW 18th Ave., Portland OR 97209. It is downstairs in a church but you don’t have to enter the church to get to Rose Haven. You will find the logo on the exterior door facing 18th Ave. If you have a large quantity, call 503-248-6364 x303.
2. If your clothing is either for men OR is NOT like new, you can donate it to the Salvation Army through their drop boxes located at:
- 3030 NE Weidler St., Portland OR 97232
- 6855 NE 82nd Ave., Portland OR 97220
- 1640 NE 122nd Ave., Portland OR 97230
- 8955 SE 82nd Ave., Portland OR 97086
- 7700 SW Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy., Portland OR 97225
- 10900 SE Oak St., Milwaukie OR 97222
- 14700 SE McLoughlin Blvd., Milwaukie OR 97267
- 17779 Lower Boones Ferry Rd., Lake Oswego OR 97035
- 1839 Molalla Ave., Oregon City OR 97045
3. IF YOUR CLOTHING IS RUINED or so stained that it cannot be worn again, you can still donate it to a place that recycles textiles. (Perfect example: my husband leaned up against a tree and got sap down the side of his shirt. We cut it off and donated the rest to Gemtext.) Gemtext Recycling will take your clothing, shoes, linens, purses and belts. 98% of your clothing can be recycled with them. Everything I cannot donate to Rose Haven or the Salvation Army, I take to GemText. Here are their locations:
- Whole Foods: 3535 NE 15th Ave., Portland OR 97232
- Community Warehouse: 3969 NE MLK Blvd., Portland OR 97212
- Barker Muffler: 4525 NE MLK Blvd., Portland OR 97211
- Whole Foods: 4301 Sandy Blvd., Portland OR 97213
- Hannah Anderson: 1010 N. Flanders St., Portland OR
- Pho Dalat: 1314 SE 39th Ave., Portland OR 97214
- Far West Fibers: 2005 N. Rosa Parks Way., Portland OR 97217
- Ross Island Acro: 1110 SE Powell Blvd., Portland OR 97202
- Budget Granite: 7620 NE Sandy Blvd., Portland OR 97213
- Portland Garment Factory: 408 SE 79th Ave., Portland OR
- Albertson’s: 19007 SW Beavercreek Rd., Oregon City OR 97045
- Get N Go Grocery: 2200 Molalla Abe., Oregon City OR 97045
- Albertson’s: 1855 Blankenship Rd., West Linn OR 97068
- Burgerville: 18350 Willamette Drive., West Linn OR 97068
- Far West Fibers: 341 Foothills Rd., Lake Oswego OR 97803
- Lake Village: 11845 SE 26th., Milwaukie OR 97222
- Tebo’s Restaurant: 19120 McLoughlin Blvd., Gladstone OR 97027
- Find more locations HERE.
Know of a spot that should be added or taken off the list? Please let me know by clicking here!
Kristina Browning is an Oregon City real estate agent, serving greater Portland, Oregon City, West Linn and beyond. If you know someone in the market to buy or sell, I would appreciate your referrals! Click here for my contact info. I volunteer for Rose Haven, the first charity that I listed above, helping them with their video needs for their website and annual fund raiser each year.