If you are looking to buy Portland Oregon real estate and are considering communities in which to live OR if you are moving to Portland Oregon from elsewhere, this guide will be helpful. The Willamette River divides the West side of Portland from the East. Burnside Avenue splits the city North and South.
Portland | Downtown: 97205 / 97209 / 97210
- Northwest – also called Nob Hill – in 97210 is where you want to be if you enjoy boutique shopping, good bars and great food. Legacy Good Samaritan Medical Center is located here and you will be close to the Timber’s soccer stadium.
- Emerson Elementary School located in 97209 ranked Above Average for 2013.
N. Portland: 97203 / 97217 / 97227
- Young & Single? Take a look at the Boise Neighborhood in 97227. You’ll enjoy having other young singles nearby. In just 25 minutes are you are downtown BY BICYCLE or quicker via The Max or car. This is one of the more unique and popular neighborhoods with plenty of live music, coffee shops and creative types.
- Do you live for bicycling? Consider St. John’s Neighborhood with 23 miles of bike lanes.
- Inside 97203 is Portsmouth Neighborhood containing 61% Singles and has a median age of 31. This is a prime area for first time home buyers, recommended by Portland Monthly Magazine…168 homes sold in 2013; $227,050 median price; $57,050 one-year increase.
- The vast restaurant and food cart options along Mississippi and Williams range from kid friendly to critically acclaimed / take TriMet Bus 4 or 44.
NE Portland: 97211 / 97212 / 97213 / 97218 / 97220 / 97230 / 97232
- Alameda Neighborhood is in 97212 and is home to Grant High School ranking #6 in the state for High School achievement.
- The Hollywood Neighborhood is in 97212 & 97213. Four Bus Lines & Three Max lines make Hollywood one of the best mass transit neighborhoods outside of downtown.
- The Concordia Neighborhood in 97211 is divine with it’s funky culture and is the heart of the east side Portland idiosyncratic soul. You’ll find coffee shops, boutiques, bars, restaurants, music venues and other wonderful oddities. You will also find a mix of races living here. If you were ever a hippie artist or you are currently, or maybe you gel well with this type of folk… you’ll love it in this delightful area. Walkable for you within this zip code is the locally famous Salt & Straw farm-to-cone ice cream shop with original flavors like honey balsamic strawberry with cracked pepper. They were chosen as “Best in the West” by Sunset Magazine and named “one of Oprah’s favorite ice creams.”
- The Beaumont Wilshire Neighborhood in 97212 is a very safe area with a low crime rate and features a hip stretch of Fremont Street. It is also home to Beverly Cleary School ranking Above Average in Performance for 2013.
- The Lloyd Neighborhood is Ecotopia, my friends. With a new green public plaza and a newly renovated mall, much of it will be self sustaining once it’s completed. It is currently under construction.
- The Portland International Airport is located at 7000 NE Airport Way, Portland, OR 97218 and was voted Americas Best Airport by Travel & Leisure magazine in October 2013.
NW Portland: 97229 / 97231
- If access to nature is important to you, I would advise you to look toward Forest Park Neighborhood in 97229. The Nation’s largest urban park (5,172 acres) is located here along with 30-mile long Wildwood Trail. Within 90 minutes you can be at either the Oregon coast or Mt. Hood.
- Forest Park Elementary School achieved Above Average for achievement in 2013 ranking them in the Top 10% of schools.
- To give you the flavor of this area, the Peculiarium occupies a spot here; a gallery store specializing in eerie oddity. Dozens of impressive restaurants and bars inhabit the area along with Yoga studios, bakeries, art & clothing shops are plentiful next to coffee shops making this district exceptionally walkable with sidewalks throughout.
SE Portland: 97202 / 97206 / 97214 / 97215 / 97216 / 97233 / 97236 / 97266
- Richmond Neighborhood is a fabulous area for foodies or those who simply enjoy dining out. 97214 & 97206 is an area that truly captures the spirit of the city. Median prices jumped nearly 9% over the last year. The Year in Numbers within this neighborhood: 195 homes sold; $363,400 median price; $29,400 one-year increase
- Belmont Street hosts Circa33, one of the prettiest nightspots you could visit with bottles to the ceiling glimmering in amber lighting. The infusions of women’s boutiques with creperies and Tea houses makes SE an intimate artisan scene.
- 97214 is home to Sunnyside, a lovely area for bars, funky shops, book stores, dining and Portlandia goodness. Buckman Elementary is located here ranking Above Average for 2013.
- Mt. Tabor in 97206 and 97215 is super for people with pets because of the access to 190 acre park of trails, woods and an off-leash area with close by Mt. Tabor Veterinary Care and Portland Pet Supply too! Mt. Tabor is home to Woodstock Elementary School which ranked Above Average in achievement for 2013. It’s 5 year median price change doesn’t look bad either.
- Sellwood Moreland in 97202 is great for bicyclists and pets too. With immediate access to the Springwater trail, it makes for great training grounds for athletes. Llewellyn Elementary is located here achieving an Above Average rating for 2013. Houses sell faster here than in most parts of the city on the market an average of just 39 days. Thinking of an investment property? Look in Sellwood. Wallace Books finds it’s home here. A distinctive neighborhood bookstore inside a little blue and yellow house, loaded floor to ceiling in every room with more treasures than anyone can resist.
SW Portland: 97219 / 97221 / 97201 / 97225 / 97239
- With nearby elementary, middle & high schools all ranked “Outstanding” by Oregon Department of Ed, Healy Heights is a great area for families in the 97239 zip code. It’s also one of the safest with low crime rate.
- Sylvan Highlands is also an outstanding choice for families in 97221 with great schools, nearby Washington Park and is in close proximity to the Portland Zoo. West Sylvan Middle school achieved Above Average performance rating for 2013.
- Ainsworth Elementary school in 97201 also achieve an Above Average performance rating for 2013.
- 97219 is closer to Tigard than to downtown Portland but it’s safe and has a median home price of $325,000 which is an affordable entry to home ownership inside the city. If you have a family – Ashcreek Neighborhood is a good place to consider.
- Bridlemile Elementary School located in 97221 also ranked Above Average for achievement for 2013.
- 97219 is home to Multnomah Village is both funky & urban in style like a sweet little neighborhood in New York. Annie Bloom’s Books has over-sized chairs ready for you to curl up in complete with a resident “literary cat” to sit in your lap. Medley, a restaurant across the street offers 55 varieties of afternoon tea and an all-day breakfast menu complete with rosemary home fries and gluten free menu items.
City of Portland Official Website
Portland Public School District Website
Portland Parks & Recreation Information
Portland Events Calendar
Portland Bike Routes
Beaverton: 97005 / 97006 / 97007 / 97008 Beaverton School District
- Forbes magazine ranked Beaverton the #1 Suburb for retirement in 2014.
- Tualatin Hills Nature Park is located in the heart of Beaverton. You will find an interpretive center with interactive displays with a reading area stocked with books for all ages. There are both dirt hiking trails and paved paths (great for those on wheels). There are a variety of environments and habitats to check out, which my kids love.
Forest Grove: 97116 Forest Grove School District
Gresham: 97030 / 97080 Gresham School District
Happy Valley: 97086 Happy Valley School District
Hillsboro: 97123 / 97124 Hillsboro School District
- Home to 209 acre Orenco Station, a 40 minute commute downtown aboard the Blue Line, it sits ever so close to Nike & Intel. What IS IT? It includes row houses, apartments, condos, a park, retail outlets, coffee shops and it plays host to the Hillsboro Farmer’s Market during the summer. It is a walkable, exceptionally well planned, pedestrian friendly, urban community that’s not in Portland.
Lake Oswego: 97034 / 97035 Lake Oswego School District
- Lake Oswego High School ranks #1 in the State for Public Schools.
Milwaukie: 97222 / 97267 North Clackamas School District
Newberg: 97132 Newberg School District
Oregon City: 97045 Oregon City School District
- Located just 15 miles southeast of Portland, alongside the Willamette River, Oregon City served as the final wagon stop on the Oregon Trail. The End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center provides a glimpse of life along the historic route.
- The Willamette Falls Legacy Project is under way which includes a public riverwalk along the edge of the Willamette River and a thriving, connected, downtown Oregon City with room for housing, public spaces, habitat restoration, education and employment.
- Learn about all that is going on in Oregon City by seeing this blog post.
Sherwood: 97140 Sherwood School District
- Sherwood was listed as #5 for CNN Money Best Places to Live in 2013.
Tigard | King City: 97223 / 97224
Tualatin: 97062 Tigard / Tualatin School District
West Linn: 97068
- West Linn High School ranks #3 in the State for Public Schools.
Wilsonville: 97070 West Linn / Wilsonville School District
As always, I appreciate your referrals. If you or a friend are looking to buy or sell your home or condo, call or email me! Cheers ~ Kristina, licensed real estate agent, SE Portland Oregon / Bellmoore Realty